Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A Book About the 90's

 I was a teenager in the 90's, and it was a good time. Ironically, during the 90's I was doing the whole 80's nostalgia thing. I got a classic NES for Christmas when I was 16. I was watching 80's movies and listening to 80's music. I was watching old Transformers G1 and the original (good) movie. So when the 80's nostalgia hit big a few years ago, I was sort of happy to remember it. But, I already did it when I was in high school.

I guess I was ahead of my time.

Well, fast forward to 2009, I started writing what would become "In the Shadows of Myrmidons" and I referenced plenty of 80's moments. And this was, I would say right about when the 80's nostalgia started to kick into high gear. I also decided at this point, well before Hunger Games was huge and before Arrow was an awesome TV show that I would give Snake a bow and arrow to fight crime with. The book wasn't really published until late 2012, early 2013 so I was still before my first viewing of Arrow. Though to be fair, I did choose Robbie as a Green Arrow-esque hero and Snake taking up the bow to contrast with Nolan's Batman which was popular at the time.

I digress.

"In the Shadows of Myrmidons", in addition to boasting some 80's nostalgia also has some 90's nostalgia. The key ones that I can recall are more than a few references to the videogame "Earthbound", some Deep Space Nine references.

Book 2 will prominently feature a C&C Music Factory song, which Nick and I decided upon a few years ago. The last few golden years of video rentals will also be important, because back in the 90's, and even once DVDs were introduced, no one really thought video stores were going anywhere. Let alone being completely replaced by Red Box and Netflix. Sad. 

Well, if you're looking for a book that has some creative references to the past, set in the 1990's, but yet is not completely derivative of other stories (I'm looking at you "Ready Player One"), then "Myrmidons" is the book for you. Though in the past I have used a variety of price points for Myrmidons, I have decided to permanently lower the price to $0.99 for Kindle and Nook 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment