Friday, August 22, 2014

Moped Mob - Stranger Than Fiction

In developing the story for "Myrmidons" I had to come up with various gangs to serve as threats. Most of them were "scenery" for lack of a better word. Most of the original gangs that Nick had devised in the 90s were forgotten, save for the Vendors and the Stockboys.
In real life, gangs, for the most part, are not a laughing matter. "The Cross and the Switchblade", "Run Baby Run" and numerous articles clearly demonstrate that gangs are not to be glorified, nor are they funny. On the other hand, a number of gangs have flashy elements, or even a touch of the absurd. Like these or my friend who told me he was robbed by a gang of transvestites on the beach.
As a result, I tried to do justice to the threat gangs posed,  while still making them colorful. In doing so, the Moped Mob was created. Essentially they're just a gang that rides mopeds, and at the time, I never thought such a thing would happen in real life.
I was wrong.
Apparently art and life are more intertwined than we think.

No comments:

Post a Comment